Essential Oils are amazing to use for the whole family, but it can be daunting to figure out which ones are safe and effective to use on children. I highly recommend this book, Gentle Babies, which is a tried-and-true Reference Guide for Essential Oils, Pregnancy, Babies, Children, and overall health.
Listen to this This Podcast!
Mama’s Oils Kiddos Primer!
* Avoid citrus oils such as lemon, orange, bergamot, lime, and grapefruit for 12+ hours to avoid photo-sensitivities on skin areas exposed to direct sunlight.
* Avoid using products, such as shampoos and lotions, which contain petrochemicals that are counteractive to pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils.
* Oils to be cautious of or avoid altogether in babies and small children- Eucalyptus, Basil, Juniper, Peppermint, Hyssop, and Wintergreen. I use diluted oils with some of these on feet, but not near their throat or chest.
* Dilute all essential oils for babies, toddlers and young children. When in doubt, mix a 1:30 blend. This is one part or drop of the essential oil and 30 parts or drops carrier, such as YL’s V-6 Vegetable oil complex or coconut oil. I often dilute one drop in a scoop of coconut oil, mix together, apply on my girls, and use the rest on myself. You can also make roller blends with 10 drops eo and the rest carrier, this is a safe dilution, and you can add Essential Oil as you are comfortable.
* Applied on the feet or used sparingly in the diffuser are the most effective and safe ways to get the benefit of oils with your children.
Sensitivities to Young Living’s essential oils are seen very rarely. Typically if sensitivities occur, the cause is either a different brand of chemically adulterated oils were used, or because the oil was used in excess. If your child shows a sensitivity to an oil, discontinue use.
The consensus of opinion on oils safe to use on children include but are not limited to:
Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica)
Chamomile, Roman (Chamaemelum nobile)
Copaiba (Copaiba officinalis)
Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
Frankincense (Boswellia carteri, Boswellia sacra)
Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens
Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Lemon (Citrus limon)
Marjoram (Origanum majorana)
Melaleuca- Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Orange (Citrus aurantium)
Rose Otto (Rosa damascena)
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora)
Sandalwood (Santalum album)
Thyme (Thumus vulgaris CT linalol)
Ylang Ylang (Cananga ordorata)
(My favorites for littles are bolded)
Young Living has a line of oils specifically formulated and diluted for children 2-12 years old (although we parents love them, too) called KidScents!
Check them out in your Virtual Office or on YoungLiving.com!
I love experiencing these oils with my sweet daughters, and finding out their favorites and what works well for them.
This is a great way to encourage creativity and connection in our families!
I hope you enjoy the experience of oiling with your children and would love to support you in any way that I can!